Saturday, August 23, 2008

They Don't Dance No More


So last night my students hosted a welcome back dance for USC. Normally it's a regular party but this year we added foam to the festivities. Well after a few hours of watching these kids dance, I realized that they really don't dance.

In fact, they just grind and freak all over each other. And they do it badly, especially the boys. They have so much to learn, no wonder why women have such a hard time. Also I thought about the days when I use to go college parties and dance my butt off. We would always try to be cute, make sure our routines and dance steps were tight. Partying was about dancing, but also looking good doing it.

What I saw last night was a gumbo of slouchy, tired dancing. And music...the music was not commanding or inspiring, but the Humpty Dance was not the most thought provoking song in my day either. I guess, there's something new with each generation.

No comments:

The Stuff

My photo
Viktor is a small town southern boy living in Los Angeles. You can find him on Twitter, writing about pop culture, politics, and comics. He’s the creator of the graphic novel StrangeLore and currently getting back into screenwriting.