Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Forget a White Party...We Need a Block Party!



Black Party, Winter Party, White Party...all of these parties usually bring Gays together. Some for sex, some for dancing, some to show off their Prada sandals and some for all of the above.

But I wonder, if these parties truly promote any type of unity or (real) pride. According some folks I've talked to, it just seems to be an exaggerated weekend at the bar...with some okay sex on the side.

I went to the Web for more opinions about these parties. After reading several blogs, articles and reviews, I have learned these events are not really promoting 'life changing' or paramount to our community. Yes, they raise tons of money for AIDS research, but that's about it.

Now, I know I blogging about this from others' perspectives. I have never been to any of these events, but I think I have a pretty good idea about the goings-on. Hot guys, music, drag, sex, labels...okay.

But I think we need something that brings our community together. We need to see our brothers and sisters from all walks of life and have dialogue about the LGBT world. I think we need a Block Party of sorts.

I think if we had Block Parties in major and minor LGBT areas, we could actually see our community. It would be more than a parade or Junior Vasquez spinning all through the night (although that could be fun). It would be a chance to hear about what's happening in our states or counties, what jobs are available, what resources are needed and what causes we should get involved with.

These events would allow everyone to join in. I mean they are a part of our community, all LGBT peeps should feel safe and accepted. I don't want our people feeling left out because they are not 'sexy in a speedo' or other foolishness. It's time to unify our forces and get the true sense of community into work.

I know it's a dream to do this, but it could be such a good and healthy thing for our community. I'm always in awe of the Block Parties in South Central L.A. People are coming together to raise awareness and have a good time.
No hateration, just collaboration.
We need to celebrate the diversity within the community, we need come together more often and all need to enjoy some good ole fashion BBQ.

2 comments:

David Dust said...

I could tell you STORIES about what goes on at the Black Party in NYC. I used to go in the early-mid 90's when I first moved here.

There was NOT many positive things going on - in any way shape or form.

XOXOXOXO

Anonymous said...

I like this idea. I've noticed we're getting more politically active in RI which is a very good thing.

The Stuff

My photo
Viktor is a small town southern boy living in Los Angeles. You can find him on Twitter, writing about pop culture, politics, and comics. He’s the creator of the graphic novel StrangeLore and currently getting back into screenwriting.