Monday, August 30, 2010

Interesting Quote: James Cameron


You've got to remember: I worked on Piranha 2 for a few days and got fired off of it; I don't put it on my official filmography. So there's no sort of fond connection for me whatsoever. In fact, I would go even farther and say that... I tend almost never to throw other films under the bus, but that is exactly an example of what we should not be doing in 3-D. Because it just cheapens the medium and reminds you of the bad 3-D horror films from the 70s and 80s, like Friday the 13th 3-D. When movies got to the bottom of the barrel of their creativity and at the last gasp of their financial lifespan, they did a 3-D version to get the last few drops of blood out of the turnip. And that's not what's happening now with 3-D. It is a renaissance-right now the biggest and the best films are being made in 3-D. Martin Scorsese is making a film in 3-D. Disney's biggest film of the year-Tron: Legacy-is coming out in 3-D. So it's a whole new ballgame.


It's interesting to hear him hate on Piranha 3D. Avatar is the biggest gimmick there is.

source

3 comments:

Cubby said...

I happen to love Friday the 13th 3-D. I think it was the best one. What's he talking about?

Unknown said...

That is funny. It' like people arguing art vs crap.

Kyle Leach said...

It is a gimmick V. Sometimes I feel like Stan and I are the only ones who see it. Nice to know there are a few other people who can see through the hype.

The Stuff

My photo
Viktor is a small town southern boy living in Los Angeles. You can find him on Twitter, writing about pop culture, politics, and comics. He’s the creator of the graphic novel StrangeLore and currently getting back into screenwriting.