Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Looking Back - 1989: Janet Jackson's Rhythm Nation

I can not tell y'all how Rhythm Nation owned my life in 1989-1990. I went to the concert, I spent my entire Social Security check of RN 1814 pins, buttons, posters and hats. My fashion was influenced by Janet and her dancers. And I think I became a social justice advocate after buying the CD.

Rhythm Nation was the SH#T! And there hasn't been anything like it (not even Gaga can touch it) in years!

With that said, I wanted to share some of the RN videos I watched over and over; trying to copy the dance moves and styles for school. So come with me on a journey to 1989.

The Knowledge - I love, love, love this song and video. I bought black Guess jeans because of this


Miss You Much - I had vest that I decorated like Janet's


Rhythm Nation - After months of watching this video, I finally learned the routine


Come Back to Me - I always loved this song, especially when I was crushing hard on a guy named JimBob.


Memories

5 comments:

WilsonW said...

LOL! I went to this concert too! Only my second concert ever. It didn't influence my dressing though. Haha!

But the one thing I did like about Janet's stuff was that the dancers and stuff were consistent. Every video was like watching her and her family members. I knew all the backup dancers names! Some of the ones in RN 1814 were still around for that "You know you want this" video you posted earlier.

JDJJ#1Janatic said...

I deffinately LOVE this era...too bad I wasn't even born when this began but this had a HUGE effect on me! Just like you I knew/know ALL her dancers names from then to now. (Never mind my age but to this day JANET is one person I strive to meet and I wanna see her in concert as my very first like Janet said she'd be worth the wait and I knkow that when it happens she definately will be) There's tons of Janet fans younger than I and we as well as others are appart of the JanetXone community and I want y'all to join

@MyzUnforgetable :twitter/JX screen name :)

Kyle Leach said...

Love it V! :)

Unknown said...

I have some janet, of that era, on my mp3 now... ilistent to it while I work out.

Ron Buckmire said...

LOL--I love me some "The Knowledge"--plus the extended remix of Rhythm Nation is like a religious experience for me!

I went to the concert and bought the pins but didnt wear them.

The Stuff

My photo
Viktor is a small town southern boy living in Los Angeles. You can find him on Twitter, writing about pop culture, politics, and comics. He’s the creator of the graphic novel StrangeLore and currently getting back into screenwriting.