Friday, May 23, 2014

Sorry, Ru. You can't to tell a Transgender person to accept Slurs


On WTF with Marc Maron, RuPaul talked about his views on using the word 'Tranny'. It's safe to say, he still doesn't get it.

Ru said:
"Does the word ‘tranny’ bother me? No. I love the word ‘tranny.’ … It’s not the transexual community who’s saying that. These are fringe people who are looking for storylines to strengthen their identity as victims. That is what we are dealing with. It’s not the trans community. ‘Cause most people who are trans have been through hell and high water… But some people haven’t and they’ve used their victimhood to create a situation where, ‘No! You look at me! I want you to see me the way you’re supposed to see me!’ You know, if your idea of happiness has to do with someone else changing what they say, what they do, you are in for a fucking hard-ass road… I dance to the beat of a different drummer. I believe everybody — you can be whatever the hell you wanna be, I ain’t stopping you. But don’t you dare tell me what I can do or what I can’t — say or can’t do. It’s just words, like, ‘Yeah, you hurt me!’ Bitch, you need to get stronger. If you’re upset by something I said you have bigger problems than you think.”
Sorry, Ru. You're in no place to tell a Transgender person to accept slurs and move on. No, that's like a White person telling me to accept being called a Nigger.

No Ma'am.

2 comments:

R.J. said...

I couldn't have said it better myself. I'm done with Ru -- he already had his third chance and blew it.

Bob said...

I kinda get where she's coming from, that it's a word that years ago people didn't find offensive.

But, if the people to whom you are referring tell you to stop using that word because they are offended by it, then you stop. using. that. word.

The n-word was acceptable in this country for a long time, far too long, but that's changed.

It's not up to the offender to decide, it's up to the offended.

Still, I love Miss Ru and think she'll understand one day; soon hopefully.

The Stuff

My photo
Viktor is a small town southern boy living in Los Angeles. You can find him on Twitter, writing about pop culture, politics, and comics. He’s the creator of the graphic novel StrangeLore and currently getting back into screenwriting.